The Knights of Columbus sure knew how to throw a good party at the statue! I remember that they had floats and I think the Spalding band played some years. In fact, at one point they actually had a little parade en route to the statue.
I think this was the year that I stood on the corner (in front of the Zichterman's house--but they didn't live there then) with Grandma and she had brought a brown paper bag with her oatmeal raisin cookies in them and we munched on them as we watched the festivities.
UPDATE! I was curious and searched online to see if they still do this. Yes! The Italian-American Society puts on an annual Italian Heritage Day, and this year it was on Saturday, October 11.
You can see some pictures from past events here. I don't see a marching band anywhere in the pictures, but it's fun to know that the tradition continues!

2 comments:
Yes, I totally remember little snippets of this. I specifically remember being afraid one year because I looked out the window and saw a man dressed as an Indian (and bald) (he was Native American) and they were walking down the middle of the street with a few people. I seem to remember mom saying it was like a protest. It scared me.
In regards to the Italian American party, though, I'm getting my memories mixed up with the neighborhood picnic. I remember one time we did a scavenger hunt and it turned dark as we were finishing. That might have been the COlumbus Day thing, I don't know.
I have so many memories involving Bradley park and the neighborhood. I used to think the yard and woods across the Ierulli's (overlooking lower Bradley park) was kind of secret and magical. Like there was a hidden village down there. Not until I was in my teens did I actually learn what was down there, when I was old enough to go on walks with friends and see the far baseball field and the walking trails. I still think it's kind of spooky.
Yes, I remember it too. I was just telling Todd about it on Monday! I remember looking out the window and seeing those Knights of Columbus guys with the funny hats walking down to the statue. I remember a little bit of the ceremony, too, just barely. That was such a wonderful neighborhood to grow up in. I have lots of dreams about it still. Em, I felt like that area was mysterious and magical, too!
Post a Comment