At the time Mom was reading through Tim Hansel's Hidden Adventures (he was also the author of You Gotta Keep Dancin'--died in 2009). She noted the following:
2 Corinthians 13:5: "Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you?"
"I can do all things" (through Christ who strengthens me . . . Philipians. 4:13)
Risk taking/new beginnings/adventures(!) in my life . . . so far:
High school guts, ready to take on challenges--believing I could do anything.
Going to college--believe I could be an artist--walking everywhere, carrying heavy things
Jobs at the lake--walking to work and around the lake
Believing I could make enough money
Taking buses in Memphis
Jobs I had to learn, stores/bookstore . . . walking everywhere
Taking buses in Memphis
Jobs I had to learn, stores/bookstore . . . walking everywhere
Believing I could take care of a child--greatest adventure!
Moving--many times
2: Corinthians 12:9: My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness
starting over with parents and two children
going to classes at B.U. then passing real estate test in Springfield
risking a new marriage and (jump in) having a lot of children
Speaking at PHS inauguration
Forum letters
FUMC lay talk--pulpit
More talks. St. Paul's--all day
Flying to CA to meet and hear famous speakers
Flying to Memphis to see Frances
Flying to Memphis to hear Gaithers
Flying to CA to see Jana alone
Guts to go places when I didn't want to . . . fighting anxiety with prayer and action
Going to U of Iowa and U of I for graduations when I was sick with Epstein Barr
Forum letters
FUMC lay talk--pulpit
More talks. St. Paul's--all day
Flying to CA to meet and hear famous speakers
Flying to Memphis to see Frances
Flying to Memphis to hear Gaithers
Flying to CA to see Jana alone
Guts to go places when I didn't want to . . . fighting anxiety with prayer and action
Going to U of Iowa and U of I for graduations when I was sick with Epstein Barr
Starting Bible studies
Moving from "safe" place at 1605
Finding a place at Proctor
Visiting sick people anywhere--scary
Getting older--new territory!
More challenges/adventures: believing God would do it!
Working to change light at Main St. when crossing was dangerous
L.R.! meeting weekly
Planning all-city prayer at RCC before two presidential elections
Speaking 3 times at RCC--Sundays
Speaking at Women's Christmas Tea--400 people
Finding a place at Proctor
Visiting sick people anywhere--scary
Getting older--new territory!
More challenges/adventures: believing God would do it!
Working to change light at Main St. when crossing was dangerous
L.R.! meeting weekly
Planning all-city prayer at RCC before two presidential elections
Speaking 3 times at RCC--Sundays
Speaking at Women's Christmas Tea--400 people
At FUMC
Starting Friday prayer and 8 am daily prayer for staff
Walter Kennedy book
Continuing to speak to classes at FUMC through the years and after I left
Speaking at two funerals there
Speaking at three funerals as Proctor chaplain
Going to Pentecostal church (one of greatest blessings)
Daring to serve communion in balcony (FUMC)
Walter Kennedy book
Continuing to speak to classes at FUMC through the years and after I left
Speaking at two funerals there
Speaking at three funerals as Proctor chaplain
Going to Pentecostal church (one of greatest blessings)
Daring to serve communion in balcony (FUMC)
Feel free to add additional brave things to Mom's list!










6 comments:
Not on the list: eating lunch at Big Al's (more than once, I think) to pray for the workers there.
Speaking at the PHS Student Council Inauguration and telling girls not to get taken advantage of by boys
Happy birthday to Barb! I think she made everyone feel important and loved! God really showed His love through her. She was obedient and passionate! I'm so glad I grew up around the block from you guys!!
Taking care of her mother all those years and getting to talk to grandpa LaHood about salvation when he was dying.
Wow! This is so neat. To read her list of things she remembered doing that might have been scary...priceless. All the obstacles she surmounted. And in those last few years, anything she did then was probably accompanied by constant pain and health issues, so that makes her even more brave. I love seeing the pictures, too. (Shannon, I'm so glad you grew up near us, too!)
no, only one memorable time at Big Al's (she didn't really eat the food either!).
Post a Comment