Monday, February 11, 1985
Barbie had doctor's appointment this afternoon--Jim came home to drive her down because of slick driving. I am so thankful she let him do this. Yesterday or Saturday she took herself to Thompson's again: she mixed 3 meat loaves and froze them and made several pies, and also did two loads of wash.
She called me after the appointment to tell me the doctor says she is all ready to go! He will meet her in the hospital in the morning IF labor does not start in the night. She is very happy and excited as I am (her mother). She says her bag has been packed for a month and she wonders if the chocolate bars may be melted!
Tuesday, February 12, 1985
Barbie called me at 6:45 a.m. She was all set to go to the hospital, but then 10 minutes later Jana called to say that the doctor was snowed in out in his home in Dunlap(!) and to wait until tomorrow.
Now at 8:30 Barbie calls to tell me she is having signs. So she may go in anyway. It was a great disappointment not to go on in. The children are all set for a fun day with extra things Barbie had planned. They were very upset she was not going. Jim went on in to work. I just told her . . . by next week this will all be history.
(1:50 p.m.). Sunshine on snow
I called Barbie to tell her there is mail today. She had talked to the doctor again. She dreaded going through another night feeling she is so ready and not wanting to have to hurry down there to the hospital late at night or early in the morning. The doctor told her to go in the late afternoon if she does not go in to labor before then . . . . this will be much better. I feel better about this plan: she could still have the baby this evening (she has babies fast once they start) so it is not good for her to wait until the last minute.
I am still going back and forth in my thoughts . . . Kathleen and her children going through time of funeral . . . and here the expectation of a new life. I called Margaret just to share my feelings about Barbie. Her boys are home and shoveling piles of snow.
Barbie called me again this afternoon. She had talked to her doctor: still at home, snowbound. He asked her to try and stay home all night as he hoped to make it in to the hospital by the morning. He really wanted to be with her at the birth and of course she wanted him there. So one more night at home.
Margaret called me back after that call . . . she helped me to see it was quite possible. Barbie had time left to go. I had been feeling she was really needing to go at once. The was due to Barbie's attitude after 5 babies: I assumed she was an expert!
Wednesday, February 13, 1985 (Sunshine)
Margaret called this morning and I could tell her Barbie had gone to the hospital. Jim drove her down about nine. Doctor would be there by ten. Barbie called to tell that they went at 8:40: they were taking Emily over to the Roach's, and they would take her to school at noon and pick all three girls up in the afternoon.
I was sitting up here in my room after supper praying all was well with my girl and the baby.
Jim called me at 7:30 to give the great news:
A BOY! PRAISE THE LORD!
I am so thrilled for Jim to have a son: I know what joy it will be for him.
Of course Barbie must be in 7th heaven!
I was surprised to learn the doctor took the baby by a Ceasarean section, the more I think about it the more it seems a good way for the baby not to have the difficult journey into birth.
I also think it may be must easier on Barbie. There was no choice as the baby was in a strange position. I will hear about it tomorrow from Barbie.
I called Margaret, and then Martha and had the fun of telling them it is a BOY. Since they each have two sons they were thrilled to hear their sister had a BOY after five girls.
I called my brother Bill to tell him, and of course they were so happy for Barbie and Jim.
Thursday, February 14, 1985. Valentine's Day. Sunshine. James Arthur in the Paper!
Barbie called me at 6:00 a.m.--I think she has done this after each baby. Dorie born in Memphis, August 24, 1969 . . . 5:00 a.m. call to tell me everything before the doctor came in.
This time she is feeling some different after surgery and anesthesia. This is her first time for surgery. She did give me more of an idea how it was. The baby did not have his head down and was sideways (?). The doctor decided C. section was best and she did not have much time to worry.
Emily called me in the middle of the afternoon . . . "This is Emily Jo LaHood."
I say "Hello, do you have something to tell me?
"Happy Valentine's Day, Grandma."
"Do you have something else to tell me?"
"Daddy brought home a picture of him and the baby."
"What do you think of the baby?"
"He is So-o-o cute!"
She sounded adorable.
It was fun to tell folks here about our new baby boy--after five girls!
Friday, February 15 (Sunshine)
Barbie called me at 6:45 feeling good. Dr. Ferdinand her beloved pediatrician has examined the baby and he is fine. Dr. F. has taken care of all the girls since 1973 when Barbie came back to live in Peoria. She also examined Barbie in her first year (1943)--she was a young assistant to Dr. Barbour and I went to him because Dr. Sabelski (our regular doctor) was in the service during the war.
11:00 a.m.
Barbie just called again in great spirits. Dr. Baranza (?) who is in the office with her Dr. Harmon told her he did little boy baby operation today. She told him he delivered the baby's father 35 years ago. He was a young doctor in with Dr. Cooley when I was going in to him for Margaret's birth.
I was delighted to hear that Barbie has a private room . . . a real nice one . . . and her own TV and phone, etc. She is enjoying all of it.
Kathryn and Lyle came to see her with a box of Fannie Mae and flowers. Kathryn also brought dinner two nights and I think again tonight.
Art brought Kathryn into our home over 30 years ago: he greeted her at the door of the church and invited her home for Sunday dinner. She was a young new school teacher at Whittier (1951)where Barbie and Martha were students. She came to our house regularly for years--met Lyle several years later--and then came to our house often. Art was a great friend of theirs.
6 comments:
Oh my gosh, I totally cried through all of this! I LOVE YOU, JIMMY!!! Thanks for posting, Jana!
Me too! ������ you're one special guy Jimmy LaHood! I definitely remember being mad you weren't gonna be born per my timeline haha so I jumped in the mittens and hats cardboard box by the front door and sulked for awhile!!
Those question marks were supposed to be crying face emogees
It seemed like the whole city was poised for the news. All of Whittier, FUMC, Itoo, etc. I remember the letdown on Feb. 12! Little girls stomping upstairs in frustration. And the next day when it was time for the C section, and I was paged to come to the deliv. rm., it was the only time I ever left food on the table (in the cafeteria)😄. When I got up there, Dr. Harmon was ready to do the job, and he looked back at me in the doorway, and told the nurse to remove Mr. LaHood from view. A few minutes later he told me I had a boy, and my legs buckled. Great memories!!! Thanks Jana and Grandma.
So funny, Mari! And Dad, loved hearing your memories. I learned some things from reading this . . . that Mom had all the essentials (including chocolate bars) packed well in advance, that Kathryn supplemented Mom's chocolate supply while she was in the hospital, and that there were many degrees of connections with the various doctors and Mom and Dad going way, way back.
Yes, Jimmy, I think your birth ranks up there with super major events in Peoria history like Bradley winning the NIT and the freeing of Scott Heimdal!
Thanks everyone. I'm alive, and it was fun reading about it!
Post a Comment