Monday, April 18, 2011

A taste of honey . . . . but just a taste



Here's an update on the bee situation. This morning a beekeeper came to our house. I expected that he would have some kind of phermone/chemical that would sort of lure them into the hive box. I also expected to see that cool steamy kettle that they use and that he would be all suited up. He actually just had the veiled helmet thingy and said that half the time he only wears eye protection. He said he's so used to stings that they don't really bother him.
Anyway, he asked us for a little broom and dustbin and starting just scooping the bees into his box. After a while, he actually just used his bare HANDS to do this. Andreas (home with a cold) and I sat and watched in wonderment. Turns out the bees had actually started to build a hive and we got to see the honeycomb and even taste a little honey! After about a half an hour, he said he had gotten most of the bees and that, while he couldn't be sure, as long as he got the queen bee that the remaining bees would just disperse over the next couple of days.
So, all's well that ends well. Yes, it would be cool to keep bees. But for now I'm just trying to get the nightmarish image of the swarm in my backyard out of my head. It felt a little too much like one the scenes from the technicolor Ten Commandments.

2 comments:

Emily Nieminski said...

Wow, that's really cool!

Jana, to publish this post, I went to "Edit posts" selected the post and scrolled all the way to the bottom of the screen and clicked "Publish selected post". It took me a minute to figure it out since I wasn't scrolling all the way down at first.

Jana said...

You rock, Emily! I tried doing that, and of course tried doing the usual posting after I finished writing it, but it would never let me publish this. Weird. I would click on the button and nothing would happen. Glad you were ale to work your magic and make it come to life!