Monday, October 17, 2011

100 years ago today . . .


. . . a very lovely lady came into this world. Happy Birthday, Grandma Barbara Amelia Johnson Gilkerson! Here are some of my favorite memories of that dear matriarch--what are some of yours?
  • Saturday lunches with Grandma at the table with a towel at her chin eating cheese, soup, and sliced apples.
  • Getting in line an hour early to the Christmas tea at Proctor home every year so we could have our choice of tables.
  • Stories of making bridal attire for all her girls.
  • Spending the night at Grandma's duplex on Missouri and knitting together while watching Love Boat and Fantasy Island (after eating a dinner of fish sticks and steamed carrots).
  • How even after losing her leg and not being able to see well she was still an elegant and classy lady.
  • Grandma having bruises on her face in the mid-70s from a run-in with a bat in her Maplewood house.
  • Her daily habit of journaling. Pen and paper--a lost art in today's world.

2 comments:

Emily Nieminski said...

I remember always restocking her townhouse or graham crackers in her cabinet at Proctor.

Also, going on slow walks in the garden at Proctor and sitting in the inside walkway.

Reading all the posts hanging outside the elevator of upcoming events and meal menus.

Climbing onto grandma's bed on Sunday afternoon and finding it impossible to stay awake and thanking mom for letting me sleep.

Wondering how all the history she knew and the royal family knowledge could possibly be interesting to her!

Feeling like everything she owned was so old and unique.

Her hands, and the way she rubbed her thumb against her pointer finger.

Worrying that I would never find another grandma like her after she died. Then I met Bruce's grandma and she became the fulfillment of my longing.

Leigh said...

The no-sugar chocolates Peggy Scott would make for Grandma that we always wanted to try. Grandma would let us, because she didn't like them much (and we didn't either).

Listening to her talk about American literature, history, royalty, and wanting to read all the books she had read.

Reading her journal and looking at her drawings from when she was in her 20s (I now have those).

Grandma staying overnight at our house on Christmas Eve when we were little.

The nightgowns she used to make us for Christmas.

She and I sitting at the table for Sunday dinner long after everyone else was done--me still eating, and Grandma talking to me.

In the last few years, being amazed that she could doze off while telling a story! (Now I have actually done that, too.)

I'm sure I will think of more! Thanks for posting this, Jana!