Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Bruce's Christmas Haul



OK, this is one of my favorite days of the year. Bruce brings home all the gifts he gets from the students and teachers at his school and, sweet husband that he is, he lets ME open them!!!! It is so fun! It is mostly fancy candy this year, and what he doesn't want.. I GET! Or I can decide to regift. (Act surprised.) As you can see from the picture of Bruce, he is mildly disappointed this year, since he is not a sweets fan, and basically, nothing is a hockey jersey. JUUUUST kidding. What I didn't take a picture of is the Chicago Blackhawks pullover and knit hat that he got from the PTO and he LOVES them. Not that we are materialistic or anything!!!!

12 comments:

Leigh said...

I'll take that box of cashews from Fannie Mae!

Abbey said...

If there is liquor in that red wine bottle shaped thingy send me that.
(this is Dorie not Abbey).

Jana said...

Naturally, my trained eye (been doing this for years--and notice I said eye, not eyes, as they still don't work in tandem) immediately focuses in like a laser beam on those gift cards. Candy, schmandy. Nothing says, "thanks for not expelling me that day when I had pot brownies in my backpack" like a good restuarant/coffee shop/bookstore gift card, right?

jim lahood said...

hold it, HOLD IT!! I'm here waiting with open arms (or mouth as the case may be) for first dibs on anything...

Jana said...

Wait a minute, I missed the Frango mints the first time. OK, those are my FAVORITE and we can't get them here. Save. Them. For. Me.

Emily Nieminski said...

Dad, there is a bag of homemade granola with your name on it. Also some Girl Scout turtles, if I don't get into them.

Leigh, since there is a girl scout tin of cashews and a fannie mae tub of cashews, I am willing to part with one. Maybe both.

Jana, the eye has it. I will see if I can sneak out the Frangos. I already gave the caramel frangos to my co-workers - I had one and they were a big disappointment. The gift cards Bruce let me have were Subway ($10) Panera ($10) and Fannie Mae ($5). He kept the Culver's $15, Starbucks $10 and Visa gift card $25 and tanning certificate from his boss. I also got a $35 TGI Fridays from one of my superiors.

Dorie, I am sure this wine (half cherry, half grape) is not anywhere near the caliber you are used to, but if I can pry it away from the Baptists, I will.

I already copied the Michael Buble Christmas CD to my iTunes and gave it away at work. No one wants the Jerry Garcia tie? Unfortunately, that was one thing Bruce actually wanted to keep. Oh and I gave away the vase with the potted amarillis plant at work. Bruce is like, "Who gives a plant for a gift?!!" I'm like, "Yikes, if we keep this and the plant lives, people are gonna except us to have a kid next!"

We'll see how long this candy will last and I can keep my promises.

Emily Nieminski said...

Oops, I meant "people are gonna EXPECT us to have a kid next!"

Jana said...

I showed your "haul" photo to Mando, and upon reflection (comparing his haul to Bruce's) he wants to know if they need a bilingual administrator at that school.

Seriously, we did get some nice things, but Mando's is a little country school so we got a lot of handmade goodies--jars of jam, cookies (apparently no one knows that he is diabetic), etc. My favorite gift every year is from a family that owns a dairy (they sell milk, cream, etc. to Land O'Lakes). They always give him a huge package with two or three big blocks of cheese, and a full package of butter. I look forward to that one all year long!

Emily Nieminski said...

No bilingual position, but possible principalship. How does he feel about using a Mac?

Anonymous said...

I think the amaryllis is a nice gift. I too spotted the gift cards. Tanning? Hmmm....interesting gift.

My next door neighbor teacher and I traded some of our gifts after school today. I gave him all the cookies, and I took some tea. I think male teachers get the funniest gifts! Last year Mr. Berg got a shaving kit which included a nose hair trimmer. He also got one of those Christmas village pieces... a gas station. So funny!

I got a couple of candles, some fancy candy, and glitter body gel... and lots of those purse sized hand sanitizers. I love my job!

From Shannon

Emily Nieminski said...

The tanning was actually his most coveted gift. He always gets that from his principal b/c she knows that's what he wants. I've told you Bruce is the girl in our relationship, right?!

Jana said...

You're funny Em. Well I hope Bruce wasn't ever planning on taking up residence here in the Golden State-tanning beds are illegal here, I think. Or maybe that is just for minors. Because our in-dept-up-to-their-eyeballs state legislators didn't hav anything else to do. (LOL!!!!)