Ahh . . . warmer weather. It's almost summertime.
In the summertime of our youth(s), the livin' was easy.
There was a period back in the early 80s, around the time when this was taken,
and through this era and slightly beyond . . .
. . . when Mom used to make these classic summertime treats. We'd keep them in baggies in the freezer for snacks on hot afternoons. I have to admit that I sneaked more than one. They were quite addictive.
I craved them so much after I moved away from home that I copied the recipe and have made them a number of times since then. I've never made the version with the chocolate wafers, though.
As you can tell, this recipe saw some heavy use back in the day. I'm seeing some chocolate pudding on there, as well as something that either looks like vanilla pudding or maybe baby Emily spit-up.
You pretty much don't need a recipe for this. Just mix up some pudding, mix in a hearty dollop of PB, spoon on to graham crackers, add another graham on top and carefully press down. Mom used to have us try to put them in the baggies right away, but that gets kind of messy since the pudding isn't really firm at that point. It's better to freeze them on a cookie sheet or plate first, then bag them (like they do with ice cream sandwiches at the drive-in).
The next time I make these I'm going to use homemade chocolate pudding--I've been experimenting with homemade puddings lately (rice, chocolate, and lemon) and I like the non-chemical flavor. (Usually we stay away from sweet stuff here, but ever since the Debbie Woerner cookie extravaganza at the bride's luncheon, my sweet tooth has run amok).
Enjoy a sweet taste of summer. Take it from our main man Bill, Jell-o pudding makes anything smoother.



1 comment:
I was just thinking about these the other day! They are so good. I just made some ice cream sandwiches using vanilla/soft chic. chip cookies from the deli and crushed-up oreos. It reminded me of the pudding-wiches.
Post a Comment