Friday, May 3, 2013

The Mom Recipe Project

I hope no one minds . . . when I was home and helping to sort and organize various living room desk drawers, I saw a pile of recipe cards and swiped 'em.  It looks to me like these are basically Mom's staple recipes from the recipe box she used to have.

Thought it might be fun to share these over time so that everyone can enjoy them.  There are just some iconic recipes from our childhood that simply must be passed down to the next generation.  Some, of course need no written version--we all remember how to spoon cottage cheese on top of a canned peach or pear half, stick a maraschino cherry half on top and call it "dessert," right?


Since Memorial Day is coming up later this month, perhaps you might like to try making that old hearty and festive standby, "Burger Baked Beans."  I seem to remember Mom making this a lot for holidays like July 4th, etc.

Here's Dorie's written version of the original recipe Mom clipped from what I'm guessing was Family Circle or Woman's Day, shown on the right.  I think that sometimes when Dorie and I were bored, Mom would set us to work copying recipes that she had . . . if nothing else, it kept us busy.


I never knew that there were two tablespoons of bourbon in this.    Did Mom even use the bourbon?

This recipe is actually perfect for those low-carb folks out there. There are four--yes, FOUR protein sources in this recipe--bacon, ground beef, pork (courtesy of Campbell's), and beans.

Bon appetit!

9 comments:

Jana said...

Dorie, I think you look SO pretty here!

Mari said...

Cute! I love reminiscing about mom's cooking and all those dinners at the big kitchen table. :)

Emily Nieminski said...

Dorie actually looks a little reminiscent of mom here, to me. I look a little reminiscent of the actor Joe Pesci from the movie "Goodfellas." Looking at this picture, it's truly amazing we all found husbands. (except Dorie) Look how handsome dad is. I can see Jimmy in him.

Thanks Jana.

Jana said...

I'm not detecting a Joe Pesci vibe there from you, Emily . . . Grandma, maybe, but not you.



Emily Nieminski said...

fuggetaboudit

Abbey said...

From Dorie: Hilarious blast from the past picture. Yep, I remember that sweet green tshirt well, we had to wear United Colors of Bennetton colors for rush that year and it began a part of my clubwear ensemble. Actually I look a little gassy from the beans which I remember as being totally yummy. Probably not much bourbon left to add to the recipe after I got to it, though.

Abbey said...

From Dorie

Abbey said...

double checking

Jana said...

See, this is a recipe I actually think would still be good for some kind of group gathering. I think the next time we have a potluck thing to go to I might try it.

I will say that last year I actually made baked beans from scratch using a Cook's Country recipe and they were so good. It kind of eliminates the easy prep part of this, but I think this would be amazing if I tried it sometime with the homemade beans.