Monday, October 18, 2010

A few odds and ends to cheer us

Something yummy
I made this soup for dinner--sweet potatoes, apples, onions, and smoked turkey sausage in a tomato-beer broth. E-mail me if you want the recipe.


Something sweet
Here's Dad reading to Jack during his last visit to us. I love it because hearing Dad's soothing voice and creative way of reading reminds me of him reading to us when we were little.


Something funny
Tonight during dinner Jack was in his high chair next to me, and he really wanted to hold my hand (this doesn't usually happen). He wouldn't let go, so I let him hold it because it was so cute, but it was challenging to eat like that. Todd said, "Too bad we don't have that fake arm that your Grandma LaHood had!"

3 comments:

Jana said...

Those are comforting images, indeed (except for the fake arm . . . that's still just zany).

Incidentally, the other night we were watching the HOTTEST show on TV (uh, that would be Antiques Roadshow, of course) and a guy had a fake arm that was actually his great-great-grandfather's wooden prosthetic arm. The g-g-gpa had lost his arm in the Civil War. The thing actually was pretty valuable, but I was a little creeped out thinking about the idea of that being in my hall closet, etc. if I were that guy.

I think we'll stick to Great-Grandpa Johnson's furniture as a nice Civil War momento.

jim lahood said...

I can get it back...Grace wanted all the separate pieces, for a new generation of weird fun.

Todd said...

Jim, I am sure if you want to buy it from her, she will charge an arm and a leg...