Mari had requested Mom's potato soup recipe sometime earlier this year. I had searched through all the folders that had the contents of Mom's recipe box, and couldn't find it. Frankly, I was surprised, since this was one of Mom's mainstays, and even recipes that she more or less improvised were eventually written down somewhere.
Today I was doing some organizing, came across the recipe collection and it dawned on me that with my new quick Doxie scanner I could get a whole bunch of them digitally uploaded for everyone's culinary enjoyment. As I was going through the recipe cards, loose sheets with jotted recipes, and magazine clippings, this very small recipe (probably from the Journal Star) fell out:
So there you go! I'm pretty sure Mom added a fair amount of milk to this, and may have also used more than two potatoes. I also remember that she didn't bother shredding the Velveeta, just cut it into small cubes and it melted just fine.
Remember eating this on cold nights? Mom almost always made extra and would put some in a jar to be delivered to Barbara Lund, who was so grateful to have something homemade and nourishing to eat.

3 comments:
Awesome - thanks for posting. I love making soups going into the fall.
Oh man! This was one of the rare aoups I actually loved. Im not a big soup fan. That velveeta was probably what set this soup over the edge of comforting deliciousness. Thanks Jana!
You're welcome! Sorry it took so long, Mari! More Mom recipe goodness to come.
Post a Comment