After lots of back and forth, we're sending our chickens to a new home in the country. We have loved having fresh eggs each day, and the chickens are definitely adorable, but they wreak havoc in our tiny postage stamp of the yard if they are out for just an hour a day, and it just doesn't seem humane to leave them in their coop all day every day. We'd like to be able to walk on our fairly new (and expensive) sidewalks without constantly having to watch out for droppings. If we had a much larger yard it wouldn't be as much of an issue. In addition, we haven't been able to plant anything in our garden over the winter as we usually do because that has become a primo chicken digging area. So, we do save a little money on eggs (maybe a few dollars a week) but have bought much more lettuce and other salad greens at the store as a result of not being able to plant those seeds . . . financially, it's been a wash. Also, no neighbor has complained yet, but they are pretty noisy when they lay eggs (they have to announce it to the world) and the other morning they were going nuts at 7:00 a.m. We are concerned that it might get to the point where our neighbors resent having agreed to us having them.
The lunch lady at Armando's school runs an organic farm and said told him today that she'd be willing to take them. I get a little lump in my throat thinking of them being gone, but mostly I'm happy that they will be able to be free (cue: John Barry's "Born Free" theme)-ranging, happy little campers. I think our girls will do well there and will be well cared-for. I hope they will always remember us fondly!
5 comments:
I think that is an egg-cellent idea. Even though your neighbors have coop-erated for so long, it's true that you don't want to step on their toes. Yolk-ouldn't have done a better job, but it might have gotten harder for you, hen-ce the change.
Thank goodness the neighbors haven't been fowl.
Em
Oh, Emily! You just crack me up! You're one crazy chick!
Em, Todd really rubbed off on you last weekend, huh?
Em, you're laying the foundation for a great pun career. Todd loved your puns--he didn't bawk at them. Those bits of humor take some talent--they don't come cheep! Jana, don't worry--those chickens won't just become a shell of themselves in their new digs. (But seriously, I'll miss hearing them in the background of your phone calls!)
And, just to round out our topic here, yegg. No, I don't remember what it means, but I do know it's what you say when someone asks if you want an egg and the answer is yes.
BALDERDASH rides again!!!!
Todd, when it comes to puns, you rule the roost (although that couldn't be technically true, but we'll just go with the general idea here . . . !).
Post a Comment