Thursday evening, Dec. 20, 1979 Sunny, warmer 47 degrees high temperature
I feel so good these days . . . so alive.
I am motivated by all my sewing and excited to think I have finished Marianna's quilt and the tree skirt. Now I have three aprons half finished but I expect to have them ready and wrapped by Christmas Eve 4 days away--one week from today will be the day after Christmas.
Barbie called last eve and she was full of talk about her plans for a buffet supper on Christmas Eve. She has invited Jam's Uncle George and wife Mary--brother of Lou. Of course Jim's parents and sister Peggy. Sister Diane is helping take care of sick mother in law. They may not come but then all 5 may show up--Martha and boys and I make 4 more.
She has it all planned and I can't seem to make anything. I was telling her she is such a Christmas person: she accomplishes so much . . . 5 little ones do not seem to slow her down. I'm sure she will have piles of presents for all the children and something for everyone. She sounds excited and happy.
I called Martha to be sure she knew about buffet. This morning I wanted to get out in the beautiful day. I still have time to buy gifts and I can't give up the idea of finding some lovely thing for Martha and Barbie to wear. I left at noon and after looking over many blouses, skirts, etc. I chose a navy skirt, vest (navy) and pretty print blouse. I am not too happy about it now I have it home--she can take all or part of it back but at least I will have something to wrap for her.
Dec. 21 Friday morning (Cloudy)
Today was supposed to be sunny and I thought I would go out to Sheridan Village. However it is cloudy and now at noon, wintry. I decided early to stay home to try to finish the aprons and the wrapping. I expect to go to the grocery store with Barbie tomorrow and would like to go over there for the day. I put a big wash in, wrote checks for 3 charities and channel 47. Cards are coming in nicely. I still have to get over to Bergners.
(Sat.) I worked on aprons all afternoon and evening and still did not finish. I could have finished one but kept working on three. They are almost done but it may take a couple of hours at least--I got so weary by 9:30 p.m. I had to quit.
(Saturday morning, December 22. Cloudy, rainy)
Barbie called this morning and said she would be (by?) later--about 9:45. It is now 11 and I have been on the phone with Florence over half an hour. I did get quite a few packages wrapped so far this morning so that is a help. If I thought she wasn't coming for a half hour or more I would get at my sewing.
10:15 p.m. Raining
Barbie came for me at 12 . . . she had been out to High View nursing home to take some things to Adele Vachon and stay for a little visit. I was pleased when she told me she took some cookies in to my friend Gladys and had a little visit with her. Just think she managed to take time for this with all her preparations for Christmas. Then she came here to help her mother get her groceries. She took time to eat some bread and cheese with me. It was spitting rain as we drove to the store and then over to their house.
Jim had been taking care of the girls for several hours. Have came from the living room holding Emily. I offered to take her and he seemed glad to hand her over. I sat down in my maple rocking chair b the tree cuddling Emily--Marianna came running in from the kitchen with one of her mother's cookies. In her joy at seeing me--she leaned over til her head touched the floor and over she went in a perfect somersault--looking up at me with a joyous smile and eyes sparkling. She did this several times in her exuberance.
Lee came to me and stayed near me all afternoon, talking to me and I listened and answered her. Jana and Dorie were at Angela Kenny's house (their music teacher). Just down the street a few houses from my home on Maplewood around the corner for the girls to walk in the misty rain. I was there quite a while before they returned.
After I returned home I wrapped more presents until I was very tired.
to be continued!

No comments:
Post a Comment