Thursday, December 5, 2013

Happy Birthday, Marianna!

You're one of a kind!







Here's how Grandma described the momentous events of Dec. 5, 1977

(From her journal)

Dec. 5      What a Day!               SNOWSTORM
                Waiting for Baby

4:20 Monday afternoon

Barbie called about 20 to 9 this morning.  I had just seen the girls go by all bundled up good--in the snow.  Barbie: "Looks like this is the day, Mom!" She sounded so happy. She said "I'll call you when we leave for hospital"--at 9:15 she called to say they were on the way.  Mary, Jim's sister, was there to take care of baby. I called Margaret and Martha to let them know--since Barbie had Jana and Lee so fast I thought she might have the baby by now. When it got to be 1:30 my thoughts were becoming negative--Jim called and nothing was happening.  She was not in labor so not uncomfortable. Doctor was going to give her something this afternoon to try and get her started but not for couple hours--so Jim came home to lie down and rest. He really has not got all his strength back yet . . .

I did a wash changed my bed then I fooled with materials all day making pillows. It helped to make the day go by. I'm so used to Barbie calling me and letting me know what is happening it seems funny not to hear from her on such an important day-I don't know why I should be edgy about her. I went to the hospital to give birth to both Barbie and Martha and had to wait around a long time with no real labor pains--but they were two weeks late. This baby wasn't due for several weeks.

Martha and her group were here but they were talking all the time, only sang a little . . . I was anxious to hear if she learned anything from Mary. When I asked her as soon as she got here (if she knew any more) she said no but Jim was calling often. I said "do you know if the doctor gave her pills to start the baby?" She said no.

They left at 9:30 so I called Mary and she told me the doctor gave her something to start the baby and he had been there since 3 o'clock. Jim said the contractions were 2 minutes apart so she should be doing something. I was glad to have direct information. I told Mary how wonderful it was she could help out. She said she was enjoying it. I was glad to hear her say that--made me feel better. She asked me if I wanted Jim to call me if baby comes in night and I said yes, I would appreciate it--I sure hope Jim gets some rest tonite.

Dark is drawing in now as fine snow goes on and on--supposed to get much colder. All day the radio keeps predicting severe weather. I shouldn't listen: it always makes me nervous, along with being somewhat on edge over my darling daughter.

Marianna LaHood 5 lb 13 oz born 10:07 p.m. Praise the Lord

Tuesday--4 degrees below zero at 7 a.m.

4 p.m. Barbie called me twice about 7:45 and a little later--she wanted to tell me all about her day on Monday. She did not have much discomfort most of the day--her contractions stopped after she got there so mid-afternoon they started giving her things to start labor. I guess her strong contractions started about 8 p.m. but she said none were ever too bad. She was only in delivery room a few minutes--gave two good pushes and little dark-haired baby girl started her life. Jim was in the room and saw his child born and he was greatly thrilled.  (He did not see Lee born). He thinks baby looks like Barbie.


We think you're beautiful, Marianna! 
Have a wonderful birthday!

1 comment:

Emily Nieminski said...

Awesome post, Jana! I love these grandma commentaries. I want to hear about my birth!!! I loved this poetic line: "Dark is drawing in now as fine snow goes on and on."