When I was perusing the latest edition of Food Network magazine (thanks, Em!) I spotted something that looked worth trying right away. Well, actually, two things, and they both have to do with our Lebanese heritage. Sort of. The first recipe was for tenderloin sandwiches at home, and I thought that would heal the wound that flares up every spring that I don't get to have chili dogs and tenderloins on demand. I made them here and even the avowed non-pork eater among us got into the spirit. (No root beer, though--we used up our entire carb exchanges on the breading and the bun).
Then I tried a new version of tabbouleh. Now, you all know that tabbouleh and hummus are foods that have about a million variations out there right now: they've become very hip. But this was pretty weird: tabbouleh using grated cauliflower instead of bulghur. Now, bulghur is just about as healthy as you can get, so I didn't really see the advantage in shaking things up to such a degree. But when I saw that cauliflower was on sale this week, I thought, "why not?"
The verdict? Four thumbs up from the three Mexican and one German/Polish honorary Lebanese testers. Mando said, "you would NEVER know that this has cauliflower in it!" The kids gobbled it up. The deal is that you grate the white parts of your raw head of cauliflower on the small holes (not the poky zester holes) of your box grater. It comes out looking almost exactly like the cracked wheat . . . just a little whiter. It has no weird cauliflower taste at all when mixed with everything else--just lemony/minty/parsley-ish as usual. The big advantage for us is that it helps cut down on the carb intake a little (for those around here who have to monitor things like that). Give it a try sometime!
9 comments:
Wow, that's really cool! I've seen grated cauliflower used as a topping on salads and that's really good too. Actually, I think it's in the dressing - like ranch with cauliflower in there. No one can quite figure out what they're eating but it's good! There's a small Greek restaurant across the street from work. They have a tenderloin and I'm flirting with ordering it sometime!
Yep, the tabbouleh was pretty amazing. I still can't get over how not-cauliflowery it tasted.
Here's the funny thing about the tenderloin recipe: the recipe for tenderloin sandwiches actually called for pork loin chops (which you pound very thin) as opposed to actual pork tenderloin (which is more expensive, it's a long, narrow, cut that you usually either broil/roast whole or slice crossways to make "medallions." The meat is much more tender than your typical chop--it's really delicious as is, although you can make all kinds of sauces to go with (or glaze, rub with spices, etc.) I'm wondering--is that what your Greek restaurant is serving instead?
No, it's under the sandwich category and called a breaded pork tenderloin, so I assume it's like what Lou's had. I'd love it if they had real tenderloin though! They have pork or chicken souvlaki (pretty much kabobs) that are seasoned with pepper and cooked on the flattop grill. You get 2 full skewers and 1 big pita with a thick garlic white sauce (like for gyros but way more garlicky) and tomatoes and onions. I love it, but I smell so garlicky at work then!
Speaking of garlic at work- at this store here called Fresh Market, I get this big carton of fried garlic cloves- they look like corn nuts, but you're eating garlic! Someone brought them into work once as a joke, but now they wish they never introduced me to them!
Jimmy, you've come so far. I'm so proud of you - you're not hiding behind those cereal boxes anymore, are you?!
Now I'm in the mood for Corn Nuts. Thanks, Jimmy!
I want some of those fried garlic things! We love garlic here. I'm just waiting until I can introduce it to Jack. I definitely want to try the cauliflower tabouli. I love cauli. and think that sounds like a fun way to use it. Couscous also works well as a substitute for bulgur. I use it if I don't have any bulgur.
Introduce, shmintroduce. Just roast a head of garlic, spread some on some little toast squares, put them on his high chair tray and let him in on the goodness NOW!
Great idea! The thing is, he wouldn't put those little toast squares in his mouth--they'd all end up on the floor, so I'd be wiping roasted garlic out of the carpet! But this will be fun when he does get hand to mouth (not the disease, the skill).
Post a Comment