Monday, May 31, 2010

Mad Hot Ballroom . . . . not!!!!!

Last year at the kids' school there was a week long "Dance Academy" program, brought in thanks to a grant (character education-related, I believe). The company comes in and works with the kids for a week to learn and polish several dances per grade level, which they then present in a performance for the parents on Friday night. I missed last year's performance because I was teaching, and was excited to go this year since both kids would be participating.

It was . . . well, interesting. I thought the whole point of it was to introduce the kids to basic dance styles using music that they might not necessarily be exposed to otherwise. Um, no. Evidently the creative folks behind this dance academy thought that kids just don't hear ENOUGH rap, hip-hop and other techno/pop styles as every dance was choreographed to stuff that had words I wasn't even sure were appropriate for kids. But since no one could really understand much of what was rapped/sung/said, the little issue of content was probably just water under the bridge. Needless to say, the cute principal was a little peeved that the choices of music/dance weren't quite up to last year's standards, but you'd never know it from the sweet way he greeted all the parents (in English AND Spanish, of course!).

So here is a little video of Nena and Chokie doing their hip hop moves. Unfortunately I missed a chunk of Nena's dancing because the whole time her second group was up there I was snapping photos for the school's web page and was thinking that her group would be next (she was in a split 2/3 class this year so I'm always thinking of her as a third grader already). When I realized that she was at the back of that group I grabbed my camcorder and tried to make up for lost time. Notice the boy behind her--that's her best buddy. They go WAY back together--they were both early readers so they hung out a lot in kindergarten and are still great pals. I like how they are totally in sync here. Also notice in the video with Chokie how he feels the need to correct one of the girls in front of him. He was just so focused on the choreography--he didn't want ANYONE around him to mess up.

5 comments:

Leigh said...

I think I know who will be leading the dancing at Jimmy's wedding! Seriously, the kids look so cute doing those dances! Thanks for posting!

Jana said...

I seriously hope there is nothing even remotely resembling that music at Jimmy's wedding!

jim lahood said...

I like spumoni pony too...wha?? At least they look coordinated-they can handle rhythm. We'll have to resurrect the old hula hoop contests in the back yard.

Emily said...

"I like to move it, move it." That's the song from Madagascar, the animated movie. I think it's clean. But I see what you mean about the rap/hip hop, Jana. Next year they should do squaredancing or the Pride and Prejudice-type dancing. That would be really cute! Good job, though, kids!

Jana said...

I think I can still do the hula hoop around my neck, too! I know everyone would LOVE to see that, right?