Sunday, February 28, 2010

Photos from Aunt Margaret

As you may know, I went and helped Aunt Margaret move out of her house last weekend. She gave me a lot of cool stuff, which including some great pictures. Here are some I picked out to share:

This is Art and Barb visiting Barbie at Lake Geneva. (They took Margaret too.)



This is Grandma with Kathryn Yates! Cool, huh!

And of course the perfect photo for the Gilkerson Caption Book 1964:

More to come!

6 comments:

Emily said...

Awesome! It's so neat to see photos we've never seen before. You can really see how mom and Martha look like Grandpa. I swear I've seen mom laying in that same pose as Grandpa!

Can't wait to see more.

Leigh said...

Thanks for sharing these, Jimmy! I love them. I typed up our great-grandpa Chester Gilkerson's autobiography and I'll e-mail it to everyone, and I'm also typing Ada's (his wife) that he wrote too. So it's fun to see old pictures while I'm reading about our relatives!

Leigh said...

Also, I love seeing Mom's paintings hanging up on the walls in the background of some of these!

Jana said...

These just make me long for a simpler time. Maybe everything just looks more idyllic in black and white, and I know Grandpa worked long hours and life wasn't always easy, but somehow whenever I see old family pictures like this from the 50s and 60s it just seems like everything was more genteel, and there were more simple pleasures. Walking by the lake, good books, napping, visiting with friends . . . what more could anyone want?

jim lahood said...

this is mom(s first bloob comment. Im a little nervous... so first I just want to thank leigh for taking her precious free time to type my grandpas story . what a guy! if you have not read it yet, read it out loud to someone and it just flows. thanks leigh....have i told you your the favorite? then a huge thabkyou to jimmy for voluntering to help my sister move...terrific job! have i told you lately you are the favorite? about the photos of my parents... my dad came home every day for lunch, up the main street hill and down maplewood. he would fix something like a cottage cheese sandwich with coffee, then lie down in the living room just like in the picture. I know my dad would be thrilled with being included on the blob, being part of a fun family thing for that great line-up of folk in the long photo; who,except for the arab, would not be here today if he had not married my mother. heading to leighs this weekend with mari (known to us as local), emily jo and please pray for that trip from friday am to sunday nite. dorie is probably in olympic withdrawal by now. at least that family is heading for fla , soon .we all look forward to our lake visits ,especially me! jana is going nuts with her crafts (not her kids) out there in ca. she has requested that we save our toilet paper rolls which she will pick up at wedding. beautiful work, jana! please keep mindys dad in your prayers as he recovers, and faces many challenges. mindy needs same amount of prayer as well. dad and i appreciale the fun of this blog,and the way you all keep in touch blesses our lives. truly.now that we are both in our 60s, we know it cant get much better than this...really. love to all. did I tell you your my favorites?

Emily said...

Awww, thanks mom! You should get on here more often! Can you bring a copy of your grandpa's story for the car ride Friday so I can read it then?
Love,
your favorite