Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Pizza Dough Help


Remember that book we used to have called Bembleman's Bakery, where the bread just keeps growing and goes out the door, etc.? Well, I kind of have that situation going on here with some pizza dough I made. I made it on Monday (using Pioneer Woman's recipe). I let it rise and then I divided in half, used half for pizza that night, and wrapped the other half in two layers of saran wrap and put in the fridge. I looked at it on Tuesday and it had busted out of the wrap through a little hole and was coming out onto the fridge shelf. I put the whole thing into a plastic container, but it seems like it's still growing. Is it still usable? Should I have divided it and wrapped it before letting it rise? I know at least two or three of you would know the answers!

6 comments:

Emily said...

Hi. That sounds like so much fun! At least it's not, like, moldy hummus or something else leaking. Um.. I usually use my pizza dough right then, but I think you can freeze it after it's risen. Wrap it like a cookie dough roll. We can make it when we come visit you! Did you know I can come with Dad and Mari?!!! yay! But I want Lebanese food, so let's plan that for sure (at a restaurant unless you want to tackle it)!

Jana said...

Hmmm. I'm not sure if it will have any more "rise" left in it if you bake it at this point. I usually freeze the second half of pizza dough when I make it. You know, you could try making some spinach calzones or meat pies with it . . . or just press it flat into a sheet pan, dimple it on the top with your fingers, sprinkle some kosher or coarse sea salt and some chopped rosemary and drizzle olive oil over the top . . . bake and VOILA--foccacia! Even if it doesn't rise much, it would still be good dipped in olive oil/balsamic vinegar that you pour into a shallow dish. You could make some easy soup to go with that.

WE have the Bembelman's book here, so how did you get that picture of it?

jim lahood said...

This would be a great title for a book. 'The pizza dough that ate Klunkeyville.' Or threatened to, until a little girl named Betty came along.

Leigh said...

I love it! Let's work on it the weekend you visit. Em, bring your illustrating skills!

sista that can't cook said...

Yo - throw in some chocolate chips and sugar and eat it like raw cookie dough...yum. That's what I would do.

Leigh said...

Okay, Mar! I'll do that and save some for when you come. By that time the dough will have grown out the door and into the driveway!